Pages

Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2014

Up Close and Personal







For my final Up Close and Personal Project, I chose to draw pinwheels. I chose pinwheels because they remind me of summer, and the weather has been so warm lately.  To capture the plastic effects in
the pinwheels, I used colored pencil.

My pinwheels are very original, I wanted to take an object that seems small, like pinwheels do when they are stuck into a large area of grass, and I wanted to zoom in on them.  For inspiration, I used pictures off of the internet so I had an idea of how to make the pinwheels look realistic.

Before I started the project, I was set on the idea of using oil pastels.  I really liked them the best when we were practicing and I had my mind set to using them. When doing some practice sketches, I could not get the pinwheels to look good with the oil pastels, so I switched to colored pencils, which I didn't want to do.  I also took a risk when I colored the background black.  Ms. Rossi told me that it would be a good idea to color  the background in black, to make the colors in the pinwheels pop.  I was really hesitant when she told me that because I didn't want the black to mess everything up and to look streaky or weird.  Once I got started with it, I really liked how it turned out and I am happy that I did it.

While working on my piece, I asked people at my table numerous questions and I had them hold up my work so I could look at it from far away.  They also helped me with knowing where to put all the different colors for the pinwheels, so I didn't have two colors next to each other.

I enjoyed this project, and I liked working with colored pencils and I am happy with how my piece turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment